I originally posted this on my personal Facebook page when I was in the thick of my divorce. I got an overwhelming number of responses and shares. Some of these are mini parables. Feel free to add a few of your own in the comments section.
1. Writing is cheaper than therapy. But a good therapist is worth every penny.
2. Laughter beats pills. But pills help. And so does sangria.
3. Jesus had boundaries for a reason. We should have boundaries, too.
4. “Earth is forgiveness school.” (Anne Lamott)
5. Good friends will climb into the pit with you.
6. Crying cleanses the soul.
7. The truth really does set you free.
8. I can forgive. Not sure I’ll ever forget.
9. Beware of wolves in sheep’s clothing. They’re everywhere, even in the church.
10. I choose to believe that God is real and he’s on this journey with me. That’s called faith.
11. And I choose to believe He hears me when I pray and is working things out on my behalf. That’s called hope.
12. Moms can fix many things, but not everything.
13. Some churches are toxic to the brokenhearted. Some are sanctuaries.
14. You’re never too old to try something new. I’ve started taking piano lessons. Someday I want to play a duet with my super-gifted son. Who knows, maybe we’ll go on tour! (hehehehe)
15. I choose peace.
16. Starting over is not the end; it’s the beginning.
17. I’m pretty handy with a drill, thankyouverymuch!
18. Don’t walk away from other people’s crazy ̶ run!
19. I can write a novel, I can write a novel, I can write a novel.
20. Words are powerful, but “silence is the ultimate weapon of power.” (Charles deGaulle)
21. No matter what your beliefs, the Bible is a book of wisdom.
22. Ending a relationship with the dignity and respect it deserves takes maturity and integrity.